News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-20-07, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

World of Warcraft

Finally broke down and decided to play it. I don't have much time for computer games, but I've cut back on going out to bars and clubs and started going to the gym more. Now I'm spending a bit more time alone at home on weekdays nights.

I am very impressed with the game, its lots of fun, and I play with some of my friends from work, so it has a nice social aspect.

I'm on the Rexxar server btw If you play there, look me up. Character "Egongun", in the guild "League of Loners". I usually play on Tuesday, Thursday, and sometimes Sunday night. Right now I'm level 26 Human Priest.
$

Last edited by Money4Nothing; 02-20-07 at 01:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-07, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

"It's not a video game R-TARD, it's an MMORPG."
Old 02-21-07, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

yeah I got hooked for a few months and then it got a little too repatative...and you realize that you have to spend ALOT of time to progress. I still suscribe, I may pick it up again shortly
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-07, 07:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I used to play it religiously, but yeah... it gets a little repetitive. I may resubscribe for a bit to try out the expansion though.
Old 02-21-07, 11:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spend a lot of time to progress? It's the easiest MMO I've ever played to level up in. You can max out a character in a month, versus a game like FFXI where that takes a few months if not a year.
Old 02-22-07, 02:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
Spend a lot of time to progress? It's the easiest MMO I've ever played to level up in. You can max out a character in a month, versus a game like FFXI where that takes a few months if not a year.

My major counter to your argument is that not all level 60s (now 70s) are equal. Character's are not necessarily "maxed out" after a month of leveling to 60. Getting to 60 is only the first step in progressing your character in WoW. The game changes quite a bit and a lot more opens up at 60.

I agree that leveling is quick and very easy, but I think most of the progression in WoW comes from conquering various dungeons and getting better and better items after you reach the level cap. When the cap was still 60, there was a huuuuuuuuuuge difference between a new level 60 in all green items compared to a level 60 with BWL/AQ/Naxx gear. It took me about a year and a half to go from a level 1 priest to a level 60 with Molten Core/Blackwing Lair gear. Of course at the level 60 cap, progressing that far was primarily relegated to people who were part of large raiding guilds. Well the new expansion changes that a bit.

The best thing about the new expansion is the fact that there are no more 40-person dungeons (the new high-level instances are 10-25 man with a ton of 5 man content along the way), so smaller guilds will have the same opportunities as the extremely large ones to progress through endgame content. Also, the time it takes to get through most of the new instances has been drastically reduced. Some still take 2-3 hours to get through, but there are some that take less than an hour. The days of the 4 hour Scholomance run are gone, for the most part.

So yes, it's a really really easy and quick game if your only goal is to get from 1-60. But if you're truly looking to get the most out of the game, you'll spend a lot of time and effort making your level 60 character better than average (in my case 1 year and 8 months and still going).

Last edited by obijon80; 02-22-07 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-22-07, 05:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

LEEROOOOYYYYY!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. That's what I always think about when I think of WoW.
Old 02-22-07, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman21 View Post
meh, sorry to burst your bubble, but it's pretty obvious you haven't played ffxi endgame. FFXI isn't about reaching 75 either....its endgame is where it all begins. Dynamis, Sky, Sea, HNMs, BCNMS, Assault, Besieged, merit points, the new ToAU areas/missions....just an overwhelming amount of things to do.

In general, progression is 2-3x longer in ffxi. What takes you 2 months would take you 4-6 in ffxi. I know this because I have 4 lv75 characters in ffxi (took 3yrs+) and 2 lv70 characters in WoW(took 3 months).

As far as WoW expansion, yeh its nice that a small group can do the instances. Less people = less drama.

...and I do believe JasonR was talking about lvling and gearing out 1 character, which is totally possible in WoW in 1 month(with people helping), whereas it's not humanly possible to do the same in ffxi(even with help). Don't misunderstand me, i know a full set of the best epics would take longer than 1 month....but to get the equivalent tier in ffxi would take multiple years, not just 1 year. After 3yrs+ of ffxi I realized I'd never have more than 1 or 2 pieces of the latest tier....something I could achieve in 3 months time in WoW without playing daily.
I can't add anything else that you haven't. I've played FFXI since the first month it hit these shores and end game requires ridiculous dedication, not to mention an appropriate linkshell or friends to tackle it with.

I'd also like to add I am a WoW fan I just don't think it's the time sink that other MMOs have been.

Dynamis Lord FTW.
Old 02-22-07, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
meh, sorry to burst your bubble, but it's pretty obvious you haven't played ffxi endgame. FFXI isn't about reaching 75 either....its endgame is where it all begins. Dynamis, Sky, Sea, HNMs, BCNMS, Assault, Besieged, merit points, the new ToAU areas/missions....just an overwhelming amount of things to do.

In general, progression is 2-3x longer in ffxi. What takes you 2 months would take you 4-6 in ffxi. I know this because I have 4 lv75 characters in ffxi (took 3yrs+) and 2 lv70 characters in WoW(took 3 months).

As far as WoW expansion, yeh its nice that a small group can do the instances. Less people = less drama.

...and I do believe JasonR was talking about lvling and gearing out 1 character, which is totally possible in WoW in 1 month(with people helping), whereas it's not humanly possible to do the same in ffxi(even with help). Don't misunderstand me, i know a full set of the best epics would take longer than 1 month....but to get the equivalent tier in ffxi would take multiple years, not just 1 year. After 3yrs+ of ffxi I realized I'd never have more than 1 or 2 pieces of the latest tier....something I could achieve in 3 months time in WoW without playing daily.
No worries, you didn't burst my bubble. It's pretty hard to do that when it comes to talking about video games. I'm not going to make any more points about WoW and FFXI specifically. But I do feel the need to defend my post.

I wasn't making commentary about FFXI; it was about WoW. I didn't mention FFXI in my post

JasonR said "Spend a lot of time to progress? It's the easiest MMO I've ever played to level up in. You can max out a character in a month, versus a game like FFXI where that takes a few months if not a year."

"To level up in" and "max out" are the 2 things I picked out from his argument. I just wanted to make the point that progression doesn't stop after you level to 60 or 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post
I can't add anything else that you haven't. I've played FFXI since the first month it hit these shores and end game requires ridiculous dedication, not to mention an appropriate linkshell or friends to tackle it with.

I'd also like to add I am a WoW fan I just don't think it's the time sink that other MMOs have been.

Dynamis Lord FTW.
And I love the fact that it's not a time sink

Last edited by obijon80; 02-22-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

That is another point; I definitely feel the two games are for two different types of MMO players.
Old 02-22-07, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Any of you tried EVE? I heard that is the current king of timesinks
Old 02-22-07, 06:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapScumKills View Post
Any of you tried EVE? I heard that is the current king of timesinks
I've never tried it, but I have a friend that plays it. Sounds VERY interesting, but it's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge timesink apparently.
Old 02-23-07, 03:34 PM
On like Donkey Kong

I've done the hardcore second-job MMOs before (EQ, Asheron's Call) and I really have no appetite to do another one ever again given current life demands of a job, a wife, and a son. WoW lends itself to the flexible kind of time schedule such as I need far better than any of those ever did. So I agree with Jason's point that there is a need for this type of MMO just as there is for one for people who want the harder leveling curves/greater involvement.

I'm enjoying TBC for the most part so far. One thing that is nice is that so far, the itemization gap between the hardcore raider and casual player that defined pre-TBC WoW hasn't manifested itself so far. From what I can see, raid epic gear that is out there now is no longer leaps and bounds past stuff you can craft, grind, quest, or 5-man for. I'm liking Blizzard's getting away from the "Raid or Die" mentality.

And I've played TBC for a month; I've maxed out on level (and weapons--have Fireguard and Vindicator's Brand) but all else is still very much a work in progress. I still haven't been to half the new instances, haven't started a lot of the key quests for Kharazan or any of the other raid stuff...so by no means do I feel maxed out otherwise.

Last edited by MT; 02-23-07 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Right now since I'm in my masters work I don't have a lot of time, I'm playing Rappelz, which is a free MMO with some good graphics.
Old 02-27-07, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijon80 View Post
No worries, you didn't burst my bubble. It's pretty hard to do that when it comes to talking about video games. I'm not going to make any more points about WoW and FFXI specifically. But I do feel the need to defend my post.

I wasn't making commentary about FFXI; it was about WoW. I didn't mention FFXI in my post

JasonR said "Spend a lot of time to progress? It's the easiest MMO I've ever played to level up in. You can max out a character in a month, versus a game like FFXI where that takes a few months if not a year."

"To level up in" and "max out" are the 2 things I picked out from his argument. I just wanted to make the point that progression doesn't stop after you level to 60 or 70.

And I love the fact that it's not a time sink
I agree with this so far. I don't have a lot of time to play a computer game. What takes an average gamer 2 months to do, would take me six. So I want a game that I can level a character in quickly, so that I can enjoy the multiplayer and cooperative aspects of the game with my guild friends. The levelling is just a necessary evil. If I could just buy a level 60 character, I would.

I want to do endgame raids and instances on the weekends with my friends. That's all I want. I don't think I would have the patience with FFXI.

However, the nice quick pace to the levelling does keep it fresh and enjoyable. And the game looks and plays very well, and I like the social aspect of it.

I'm level 31 priest now, and I'll probably make a rogue character for my guild. (We have no high level priests or rogues).

$
Old 02-28-07, 04:05 PM
On like Donkey Kong

That picture is always

"Looks like you're about to get pwned."
Old 03-02-07, 12:34 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Looks like they're using Gateway.
Old 03-03-07, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Interesting. If TBC is as good as you guys are saying, I may have to try it out.