Thread: I blame pop
View Single Post
Old 05-23-06, 07:20 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
From Steve Kerr:

STAT OF THE NIGHT

41-34 – That was the rebounding total in the game in favor of Dallas. Why is that significant? It was the 11th straight playoff game in which the Mavericks out rebounded their opponents. The transformation of Dallas from a free-wheeling, jump-shooting finesse team to true championship contender is complete.

UNSUNG HERO

DeSagana Diop – He lost his starting role for the first time in the series on Monday and played just 10 minutes. In fact, Diop was only forced into action after Erick Dampier and Keith Van Horn fouled out. But the 24-year-old made several huge stops on Duncan in overtime to help seal the Dallas victory. Diop also made all three of his field-goal attempts and snared a key offensive rebound in the extra session. Diop was part of the tremendous depth that helped carry the Mavericks against San Antonio.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
I think the key was that Duncan ran out of gas and Popovich kept going to him. You could see him hobbling around. Diop did get some things to go down on the offensive end, but he didn't stop Duncan. OK, he did pull the chair on Duncan, causing a turnover. They went to Duncan 6 times, he only scored once on the only aggressive move he made. Parker got one try, made his basket. Finley took 2 threes, but the game was decided before his last attempt. Stackhouse altered Finley's shot on the inbounds play, he shouldn't had hesitated, it was either going to go in or get blocked and go out of bounds. Ginobili got one turn and got to the line for 2 free-throws. When you break it down, Popovich just got out coached by Avery. Even if the Spurs won, I would still feel the same about Pop's moves. It's supposed to be the other way around, they should have had to adjust to the Spurs, but Pop made the adjusting. Tim Duncan is why we have won Championships, not the coach. He kept riding Duncan, even when he was grimacing in pain. I've seen it more than once in several games when Manu don't touch the ball enough and they go away from him. Where were the touches in OT? I also see this in the beginning of games, and that's where the tone of the game is set, but he only touches the ball 2-3 times. It is important to get Ginobili involved early, his play and aggressiveness gets the whole team going, not a Duncan bank-shot, not a Tony Parker drive. Spurs were burned out, because they only went 8 deep with their rotations. Another coach's mistake was bringing Nick Van Exel during the entire series, he really sucked and provided nothing. Yeah he brought him in and he is a veteran, but had nothing, Beno could have provided something better. The Spurs should have probably won the game in regulation and Manu did screw up, but the game wasn't over. The game was over when Pop decided to keep riding a cramping up Duncan as he has all these years, but this time came up short. "Nice job Coach".