Thread: PF vs C
View Single Post
Old 08-17-05, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSlicer
Today its the PF spot that is the most glamorized position while the Center spot is mainly the garbage position.
I think a lot of that has to do with all the players these days, regardless of position or size, wanting to have a face-up game and for big men that takes away their post up skills. Twenty years ago guys like Duncan and Garnett would never be allowed more than 10 feet away from the basket starting from the day they became the tallest guy on their team. They would have been centers and that would have been all there was to it. Nowdays big kids are working on trying to take guys off the dribble instead of working on banging down low.

Quote:
Does anybody see a reversal of this trend occuring in upcomming years or will this trend last?
I don't know when, but I do think we'll see a resurgence in the center position sometime down the road. As centers become more and more scarce their value will become higher and higher and at some point I think you'll start to see some 6-10 kids figure out that they'll have a much better shot making it to the pros, and sticking there, if they can develop the skill set that comes with being a center.