View Single Post
Old 08-09-05, 08:25 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Duncan was preceded in death by his wife, Delysia Bryan Duncan.
Interesting. I've read in probably a dozen articles "Ione", but like someone said, maybe Ione was a nick-name. Good articles, by the way... thanks for posting them.

This is where I got the niece thing:

TRIBUTE TO TIM DUNCAN OF THE VIRGIN ISLANDS (House of Representatives - February 26, 1997)

[Page: H650] GPO's PDF

The SPEAKER pro tempore. Under a previous order of the House, the gentlewoman from the Virgin Islands [Ms. Christian-Green] is recognized for 5 minutes.

Ms. CHRISTIAN-GREEN. Mr. Speaker, I rise today with great pride to recognize and pay tribute to a superb athlete and a wonderful Virgin Islander: Tim Duncan of Wake Forest University.

Timmy, as he is better known by his friends back home, has been a star center for the Wake Forest Demon Deacons since 1993 and is currently one of the 12 players in the running to be named the 1997 College Basketball Player of the Year.

Last night, at the end of the Demon Deacons' last home game and at Tim's last home game as a student at Wake Forest, the university and the Winston-Salem community paid tribute to this outstanding student-athlete by making him only the eighth player to have his jersey, No. 21, retired.

I had the privilege of attending last night's ceremony to personally extend congratulations to Timmy and to his family on behalf of his thousands of friends back home in the Virgin Islands and Virgin Islanders across the country who could not be there to congratulate him in person.

Mr. Speaker, entering this month, Timmy had played in 114 consecutive games at Wake Forest. He holds the distinction of participating in more winning games as a Demon Deacon than any other player in Wake Forest history.

The premier player in America for 1996-97, according to leading college basketball experts, Timmy will complete his career at Wake Forest as the NCAA all-time leader in blocked shots. He has blocked at least one shot in all of his first 114 games at Wake Forest.

Mr. Speaker, it goes without saying how especially proud the people of the Virgin Islands are of their native son, Tim Duncan. I ask my colleagues to please join me in congratulating this wonderful student-athlete as well as his family, who were with him last night as we witnessed him receiving his honor in front of thousands of cheering Wake Forest University fans. Tim's family who were with him last night are his proud father, William Duncan, his older sister Cheryl, and her husband Rick Lowery and their children Sheynne, Kristin and Delysia; his youngest sister Tricia and older brother Scott.

A heartfelt congratulations to Timmy and his family and best of luck to Wake Forest as they prepare for the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Go Deacons.

Mr. Speaker, that concludes my remarks this afternoon.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r105:H26FE7-199:

Last edited by JSummers; 08-09-05 at 08:30 AM.