View Single Post
Old 05-10-05, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Heresy - I don't like David Robinson, never did

I have a class where we have discussed David Robinson on more than one once. Our professor knows a reporter (I believe for the Express News) and she told him that the one thing they were absolutely forbidden to write about was any story that would reflect negatively on David Robinson.

I can understand why there is so much reverence for him here in SA, but honestly, I never liked him. I have been a Spurs fan since I was about eight years old, but I never liked David Robinson. He was too much of a nice guy for me. I think his lack of killer instinct is a big reason we never could get over the hump in those years when he was in his prime. I always liked players who had more attitude, like MJ, Barkley, Reggie Miller, etc.

But the main thing that turns me off to David Robinson is how conservative and religious he is. I mean the guy can't go five seconds without mentioning Jesus. It's annoying. Plus, all the sucking up Governor Rick Perry did to him after his retirement made me want to throw up. If I were an NBA star I wouldn't let that guy come anywhere near me, much less use me to promote himself.

The other day in class we were talking about the Carver Academy, which I have heard referred to more than once as a "school for underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side." But somebody in class said that tuition there is like 20,000 dollars a year, and even with financial aid it's like 7,000. Then one of them recalled reading a newspaper article which stated that there were a bunch of BMWs and Cadillacs in the parking lot of the Carver Academy.

Then the professor noted that he heard an advertisement for the Carver Academy during Rush Limbaugh. If the Carver Academy is for "underprivileged children on San Antonio's East Side" then why are there advertisements for it on Rush Limbaugh (there ain't very many folks on the east side listening to that racist pig).

However, nothing ticked me off more than when David Robinson basically told those of us who were againt the war in Iraq to "shut up." As some of you may remember, Steve Nash was a vocal critic of the Iraq war around the time of the All Star break. At the time, David Robinson said something like, "If he doesn't like it, he should go to another country." He also said something to the effect of, "The time for debate is over. It's time to just keep your opinions to yourself and support the troops."

That was when David Robinson lost whatever shred of respect I still had left for him.

Now I will go put on my fire-retardant nightwear.