View Single Post
Old 03-19-16, 01:46 AM
SR Team Goof

(2016) No. 11 seed Northern Iowa upsets Texas off halfcourt buzzer-beater

Paul Jespersonís halfcourt buzzer-beater propelled No. 11 Northern Iowa past No. 6 Texas, 75-72, late Saturday night.

When Jespersonís runner banked home, it sent the Panthers into wild celebration, ending a back-and-forth battle with a shot that will live on forever in NCAA Tournament highlights.

"It felt good when it left my hands," Jesperson said in a postgame interview. "I'm just thankful we get to live another day."

Texas guard Isaiah Taylor had tied the game with a 6-foot jumper with 2.7 seconds left.

Instead of overtime, Jesperson took a long pass near midcourt, dribbled toward the center circle and then unleashed the winner.

"I thought we were gonna be in overtime," UNI coach Ben Jacobson said in a postgame interview. "I was in-between on taking a timeout or not. I'm glad they found Paul."
Northern Iowa is now 3-0 at the Chesapeake Arena. In 2010, the Panthers beat UNLV and then stunned No. 1 seed Kansas.

By the seed numbers, this upset wasnít as big. But the last-second drama was even bigger.
After its seventh consecutive win, Northern Iowa (23-12) will play No. 3 Texas A&M on Sunday afternoon.

Klint Carlsonís layup with 27.2 seconds left gave the Panthers a 71-70 lead. Wes Washpun hit one of two free throws to extend the lead to two points with 11.9 left, but Taylor drove and tied it.

Link to rest of story No. 11 seed Northern Iowa upsets Texas off halfcourt buzzer-beater