View Single Post
Old 05-05-14, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs will "Dirk" LaMarcus Aldridge (with Tiago)

I caught this article on BleacherReport, and I want to go out on a limb and predict that Tiago (and Diaw) significantly lower Aldridge's field goal percentage.

San Antonio Is Able to 'Dirk' LaMarcus AldridgeUSA TODAY Sports
The San Antonio Spurs did a pretty masterful job of negating Dirk Nowitzki's effect on their first-round series.

It is impossible to stop a player like Nowitzki from getting his numbers, but how you force him to get them is what can be the difference in a series. The Spurs were physical in bodying up with the Dallas Mavericks star, forcing him to shoot just 42.9 percent in the series. That included a 1-of-12 performance from beyond the arc and an 8-of-21 night in their blowout finale.

In the second round, San Antonio will see LaMarcus Aldridge, a younger and more athletic power forward but with similar abilities as the man they just sent packing.

Aldridge put in 47.9 percent of his shots against the Houston Rockets en route to averaging 29.8 points, 11.2 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game. That was an incredible performance after setting a mind-blowing tone for the series in Games 1 and 2.

Gregg Popovich and the Spurs surely took notice and will have to tweak their defense a little bit. However, much of what gave Nowitzki fits will also cause problems for Aldridge. In the end, the Trail Blazers star's numbers should look a bit more like Nowitzki's by series' end.

HERE is the link to the article.