View Single Post
Old 04-10-14, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT View Post
I've got to ask: why are you a Spurs fan? The Spurs are one of the leaders in the league in looking at advanced metrics for scouting and analyzing players. If I remember correctly, the Spurs were one of the pilot teams to install the SportsU tracking cameras in the AT&T center. Using these numbers (and others gathered from various sources) the Spurs were able to acquire the great perimeter defenders that others in the league passed on (Bowen, Kawhi, Green). If you believe these guys just passed Pop's "stink test" then you are sorely mistaken. But if you won't listen to reason, that pretty much ends the argument.

As for the players you mentioned, heres a few problems with them:

Gortat: What would we send to the Suns to get him? The Wizards sent a first round pick (in a deep draft) and 14.5M in expiring contracts. Maybe they take Bonner, Green and Kawhi but if you send that for an expiring contract, you're an idiot. Or maybe you send them Manu, Tony or Tim...

As for numbers, he's pretty much the equivalent of Tiago. Better at some things (blocks), worse at others (win share). Personally I'd take the guy that knows the system and isn't going to be a FA this summer (where he'll command +10M per year).

Lopez: I'll concede that Robin is better than Tiago, when he's healthy. When he was with Phoenix he played in less than 74% of their games. For reference, Tiago has played in 84% of the Spurs games before this year (and that includes Pop's resting him a game or two). I believe Robin was a steal and I'm not really sure why the Pelicans got rid of him for so cheap (2 2nd rounders and cash).

Asik: Sure he makes less than Tiago ($8.4M against the cap) but again the question remains, how do the Spurs acquire him? In spite of his pouting and demands to be traded, the Rockets still didn't trade him. What would you have given up? A first rounder? Not enough. A first rounder and Green/Belinelli? Still not enough. The Rockets would have RAPED us in any trade for Asik because ultimately they knew they had all the power.

Dalembart: A interesting case. This guy has been on 4 teams in the last 4 years. Without even looking at numbers, that tells me something is wrong. With looking at numbers, I see that in his 5 years prior to joining the mavs he'd had an OWS of 1.18 and DWS of 2.5. Thats the equivalent of Tiago's defense and 1/3rd his offense. Yes he has improved drastically this year but if he hadn't, right now you'd be screaming "why didn't we resign Tiago!"

Kaman: Same as above with Dalembert except worse. 4 years, 4 teams. Defensive win share of 1.33 and an OWS of -0.38 in the last 4 years. YES THAT IS A NEGATIVE. Kaman has actually hurt his teams on offense and helped them on defense about half as much as Tiago.
It doesnt matter why I'm a spurs fan. I don't see the relevance in that question.

I'll admit, I don't know how we would get anyone because I really haven't looked into it... I'm more or less saying we SHOULDNT have given Tiago that contract, and at that time I'm not sure who was or wasn't available... I'm Saying I would have taken any of those guys. And I wouldn' ttrade Kawhi... It would have to be ridiculous.... I have probably been too hard on Tiago due to defending my stance.. My ppoint is, I feel we could have invested that money elsewhere and rolled with someone on the cheap. I truly feel Tiago is a dime a dozen, and can pull that kind of talent (or lack of) from somewhere else. My stance is, we should have let him walk.... I don't believe Tiago is better tthan any of those guys... Honestly, I'm not sure he is that much better than Baynes.. If at all..

If you want to know why I'm a spurs fan. David Robinson. As a child, I really admired how he wasn't afraid to voice his beliefs... I immediately became a fanatic... I was lucky enough to have become a spurs fanatic well before they were blessed with Tim Duncan.

Also... I'm not even really saying trade... I'm more or less saying we should have let Tiago walk and signed an asik or someone like that... Maybe asik signed with Houston b4 Tiago with sa.. I honestly don't know..

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 04-10-14 at 06:16 PM.