Originally Posted by Spurd_On
Some observations I came away with:
Kawhi was comfortable anywhere on the floor whether it was splitting defenders or shooting from the outside.
Danny Green had some mental errors on offense but his defense was stellar.
Parker seemed to lift himself out of his preseason funk in the second half.
The second unit was awesome without Parker in the game. Maybe teams will not be able to focus on him so much as the head of the snake this season.
Manu had only 1 turnover and slashed and finished like the Manu of yesteryear.
Belinelli has a long way to go to be effective on defense but he was a true compliment on offense. His stats don't show it because he was usually doing the 1st or 2nd pass and not the assist but he was an integral part of the setup to scoring the basket.
Patty Mills worked the paint on offense and was not just a perimeter shooter. His pesky defense was effective as well.
Diaw impressed me with his defense in the paint. He is now looking for rebounds and blocks.
Pop seems to be teaching the other players how to best utilize Splitter when he is on the court.
Good observations....I was at the game and this is what I came away with.
- Everyone looked a bit rusty (but it's the first game)
- Tp/Kawhi had a nice little 1-2 game working for little spurts (both were driving and assiting/creating thier own shots and forcing the defense to collapse on them)
- Manu and Marco worked well together in short spurts
- Manu actually looked decent and was driving well to the left. Had a couple of teardrops and layups over the Grizzlies bigs, which was encouraging
- Bench looked AWESOME!!!!! I really liked how the Spurs built up a big lead with thier starters resting, it was nice to see
- Diaw looked good and was holding his own against the Grizz bigs, if Duncan/Splitter/Diaw stay healhy and fresh, I think the Spurs just might have enough bigs to compete with anyone
- Bonner still sucks on defense....Ayres was serviceable!