View Single Post
Old 08-21-13, 08:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ginobili mulled retirement during the regular season

This is from ESPN's Rumor page, so there is no link.

Ginobili talks injuries, retirement
August, 21, 2013
AUG 21
8:19
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Manu Ginobili recently did an interview with La Naciůn, an Argentine newspaper, and he answered question on many topics including his injuries and retirement. So how close was he to calling an end to his days as an NBA player?

"By the end of the season -- and I mean the regular season and not the playoffs -- I thought about it a lot. I was so tired of it. I hadnít suffered a muscle strain in my whole life and I went through three in four months," Ginobili tells the newspaper via translation from Pounding the Rock. "I felt negative, fed up. And I thought about retiring. I hadnít come close to making up my mind but I thought it was something I had to discuss with my wife, 'what if Ö?' She told me that it was my decision and she was fine either way. But when I recovered physically I started to feel better about it all. When the season ended I grieved for 48, 72 hours and I didnít feel retired. I knew something was missing, that I still wanted to play."

Ginobili, an 11-year NBA veteran, re-signed with the Spurs through the 2014-15 season and at that point he probably will retire. The Spurs will also likely see Tim Duncan and head coach Gregg Popovich retire, too, in 2015. Ginobili said in the interview that he wants to stay close to the game, but at this time he doesn't know what role that will be.

Ginobili will likely have his old position as the Spurs' sixth-man this upcoming season.