View Single Post
Old 07-09-13, 10:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post
Cap'n Jack would have at least add a good defensive body to bother those HEATdoom32x4. At least he had the SIZE to bother few shooters! Besides that his competitive spirit could have somehow kicked in at PO crucial moments. He has a history to bring it in PO. This guy has a lot of SPUNK in him despite getting old.
He wasn't a good defensive body this year -- not even close. Defensive rating of 103, 10th-best on the team. Worse than "defensive stalwarts" Manu, De Colo, Green. Tied with the All-NBA Defensive three-hundredth team of Baynes, Anderson, Joseph, and Diaw. Barely in the top 100 in the NBA in defensive rating, not even in the top 150 in the NBA in defensive win shares. This season he was an average defensive player and literally among the league's worst offensive players. Bottom 50 in offensive rating. Bottom 100 in net win shares. Bottom 100 in turnover percentage. Bottom 100 in effective FG%. Bottom 100 in true shooting percentage. 465th out of 469 players in offensive win shares!

It's tempting to get caught up in simplistic subjective assessments like "he's better body" or "he has more spunk" or "he's a playoff warrior", but those subjective assessments are worthless. Jackson was bad last year. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFly View Post
I'm not going to defend. SJax's performance or behavior last year. You can't. But I will say that he couldn't have been any worse at the end of the bench than TMac was. If you are going to waste a roster spot, you might as well waste it on a guy who knows the team, has had success, and who could be that guy who gives you something when every other SG on the team is struggling.
I disagree. Neither Jackson nor McGrady were going to play, so what's better: a player that's going to whine and moan that he's not playing or a player that's positive and just grateful to be there? Attitude means something, especially for end-of-the-bench players.