View Single Post
Old 07-09-13, 11:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
If he becomes a candidate, I'm all for it. But I'm not sure he will even be our sixth man. I still think Manu maintains that roll next year, for better or worse.

I don't think it is a knock on Belinelli to say he isn't Manu Ginobili. I'd like to be wrong, believe me, nothing would give me more satisfaction than to see the Marco Belinelli signing to be the free agent acquisition for the spurs in the last 10 years. I just don't see it. With all that said, he is a good, solid player.
We have to remember that regardless of Manu's playoff failures, mostly the 8 turnovers in Game 6, he was still reasonably effective in the regular season -- 19.0 PER (top 45 in the league), .155 win shares (top 50). Having three players in the top 45 in PER is a necessity for a finals contender. Five players in the top 50 for win shares is mind-blowing (Leonard and Spliter join the Big 3 there, with Splitter an amazing 10th in the league).

That said, I see Manu shifting to the starting lineup next year. We rarely play the bench in its entirety -- the bench lineup top to bottom isn't scary, but each player is serviceable for plugging in with 2/5ths or 3/5ths of the starting lineup.