View Single Post
Old 07-06-13, 11:13 AM
SR Team Goof

Report: Dallas Mavericks interested in Andrew Bynum

Mark Cuban didn’t succeed in his Dwight Howard gambit, so now me may be about to roll the dice on another elite center… well, sometimes elite center sometimes flamenco dancer.

Mavericks fans, how would you like to have Andrew Bynum on your team?
Actually, it’s not that bad a gamble (we’ll get to that) and the Mavericks are serious, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Mavs' post-Dwight interest in Bynum is legit. They ARE pursuing him. Yet it's been made clear they'll make detailed/careful evaluation first

As they should. Very detailed. Philadelphia traded Andre Iguodala for Bynum last year and didn’t get one game out of him, a move that was followed by a front office shakeup there.

But with the right deal this is not a bad gamble for Dallas — a two or three year contract with team options on the second and third years, plus a clause that if he doesn’t play due to a pre-existing knee condition the contract can essentially be voided (this does exist, the Timberwolves had it in Brandon Roy’s deal last year).

The upside is if Bynum is back close to his All-Star self the Mavericks have arguably the best center in the game on their team. If not, they let him go after one year and use the cap space to chase free agents again next summer.

Expect Bynum and his team to be patient, holding out for the best offer now that Dwight Howard has made his call.

Link: Report: Dallas Mavericks interested in Andrew Bynum | ProBasketballTalk
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton