View Single Post
Old 07-03-13, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can definitely see Ellis coming here with the MLE. Look at espn section

4. What would you offer Monta Ellis?

Coon: Ellis has midlevel exception written all over him. That comes out to four years, $22 million if the team is below the tax line, or three years, $10 million if the team is a taxpayer. My guess is he'll find a team below the tax line.

Elhassan: Three years, $18 million (player option on the third year). Ellis is a high-level scoring guard, but if he's starting, your team isn't going very far. He'd excel as an off-the-bench scorer, provided he accepts that role. Comparables such as J.R. Smith and Jamal Crawford both come to mind, and Ellis' production surpasses them. Still, $6 million per year is all I'd commit to a bench guard.

Han: Three years, $16.5 million. Ellis is the conundrum of free agency: a talented scorer, but also low in efficiency, exactly the stereotype that teams seem to be moving away from. Lou Williams received $5.5 million per year in his contract last offseason, and that feels sensible in this situation.

Sunnergren: Three years, $15 million. In 2012-13, Ellis shot under 29 percent from 3, finished 63rd among qualified point guards in true shooting percentage, 44th in assist-to-turnover ratio, and placed just 11th on his own 38-win team in win shares per 48 minutes. The analytics revolution is here (and it was televised). These are going to be lean years for volume shooters.

Winter: Three years, $16 million. Ellis is a prolific scorer, gifted creator and plays the passing lanes like few others. But he doesn't play basketball in a vacuum, so his inefficiency, overall defensive worth and poor locker room influence matter, too. Monta needs to hit reset on his career in the worst way; his talent alone is worth more than the midlevel exception, let alone a contract so short in length.

NBA What are top NBA free agents worth? - ESPN

- Confucius