View Single Post
Old 06-25-13, 11:25 AM
SR Team Goof

Which should come first: NBA Draft or Free Agency??

NBA Draft vs Free Agency

I don’t know if this topic has ever been brought up in this forum before but I thought I’d throw it out there. I was watching a pre-draft discussion on NBA-TV this morning and Coach Mike Fratello brought up an interesting point. He felt the sequencing of the NBA draft and start of free agency should be reversed. The NBA draft this year is 27 June while free agency starts 1 July, with the date for signing free agents being on/about 9 July. I have to agree that free agent negotiations should come first, then the NBA draft. I believe a team, if they have the cap money, can probably fill their roster needs if they are able to sign a more experienced player through free agency. Then, if they have any existing vacancies, they can always fall back to the draft for their needs. I don’t know how this would affect the collective bargaining agreement but would be an interesting topic for the owners and league to talk about in the future. What do you think?