Thread: Question?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-13, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Joyner seems mostly right, but I believe the $70M figure he is using is the luxury tax level, not the salary cap.

The salary cap for the current season is just north of $58M.
The Spurs can exceed this number to sign their own free agents. They can't exceed it sign other free agents.
They can also exceed the luxury tax number for their own guys. Each has a cap hold until signed or renounced, so they will not be below the salary cap at all.
You're probably right then -- I didn't realize those are different. I do have a question, though. If we can't exceed $58 million to sign free agents, but we can exceed it to sign our own players, then does that suggest that order matters when we're signing players? Do we have to sign the free agent first for them to count against the $58 million rather than the $70 million?

What I mean is, imagine if we sign all our own players first and that puts us at $60 million -- theoretically we couldn't use the extra $10 million to sign a FA. But, if we signed the FA first, then signed our own players, that puts us at $70 million, which is okay because the jump from $60 to $70 million was our own players. Is that right?

I don't imagine that's right because that'd be silly, I'm just curious how the differentiate who's counting toward the $70 million and who's counting toward the $58 million.