View Single Post
Old 05-23-13, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
Physical papers have cost, they're writing on paper, delivery costs etc. You can not compare it with the soft papers.

Moreover, paying 2.5$ per week is not logical. Web advertisments are very profitable and the Express News don't need to charge fee to their readers. Moreover I'm living in a foreign country and I'm pretty sure that there are tones of Spurs fans in my situation. Why should I pay 2.5$ per week to read only Spurs news in a paper? I only want to read only about my Spurs. So why should I pay for tones of news in San Antonio which I don't care none of them?
First of all, non-physical papers have cost, too. Writers like to actually be paid for what they write, first of all. Then, there's bandwidth costs, site maintenance, site design, and lots of other costs. Is it cheaper than doing a physical paper? Sure. Are the costs negligible? Not even close.

Secondly, web advertisements are not profitable. At all. They're laughably, hilariously unprofitable. Sources:
It's More Likely You Will Survive A Plane Crash Or Win The Lottery Than Click A Banner Ad - Business Insider
10 Horrifying Stats About Display Advertising
Banners Are the Worst Advertising: Invisible | Digiday

So, no, web advertisements are not profitable in the least.

I don't have a stake in this debate -- to me it's just another example of a newspaper fighting to stay relevant and solvent and failing. I just don't like to see falsehoods and faulty reasoning tossed around in any debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Get off your high horse about how you already pay for a subscription, good for you. And as far as complaining, hey it's a free country and if you don't like what's written don't read it. And gee, you think they won't miss the revenue from free content, got news for you, EVERY paper that has gone paywall has seen a dramatic drop in traffic and guess what bubba, advertisers pay for eye balls. So yeah, they're going to miss the traffic. Ask ESPN about what happens when viewership drops, so does advertising revenue.
My favorite part of this post is how you cited sources showing that traffic drops when paywalls are introduced and that advertisers pay enough to keep newspapers solvent without needing a paywall. It's really nice that you actually backed up your ridiculous claims with proven sources instead of just leaving them as your own flippant conjecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Oh and by the way monkeywrangler, I bet you're one of those who has the 'my way or the highway philosophy' aren't you? If someone says something you don't like you get all huffy and self-righteous, because you're always right, well tough, get over it, that's a you problem.

And now I step off my soapbox....

Last edited by joyner; 05-23-13 at 05:40 PM.