View Single Post
Old 05-11-13, 12:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
There's no defense against shooters like Curry and Thompson. They don't need a lot of daylight to shoot. All they need is a pick, and whether or not the defender goes under or through, that gives those guys enough space to shoot. The only way they can be stopped at the 3pt line is if they shoot their average or go completely cold. The real issue is the Spurs inefficiency on the offensive end. They need to shoot at their average, plain and simple. If you remember in the Suns series you refer to, the Spurs weren't blowing them out. They were close games and the Spurs had to outscore them. That's what they are going to have to do here.
I think this is a pretty good point.

If Curry and Thompson really are as good as they were in game 1 and 2, then nobody is beating them (except maybe the Heat, who can be just as good on offense). But I don't think they are really that good. They just got hot at the same time that the Spurs didn't have a good defensive handle.

If Curry and Thompson shoot their average, they can still beat us if our defense is porous and our offense is inefficient. But at least we should be favored in most aspects of the game then.

I think if we continue to contest well and make the Warriors take tough shots, and limit the transition shots, then the shooting percentages will even out a bit and we'll start to win games.

Scary thing is that the series is short enough that it's conceivable that Curry and Thompson could shoot 60% from 3 over the course of 5 or 6 games and bump us out. Then of course they'll shoot 20% against Thunder/Griz and get bounced hard.

$