View Single Post
Old 04-11-13, 10:44 AM
SR Team Goof

Blair says lawsuit has ‘been handled’

DENVER — Assured his representatives are taking care of a lawsuit filed against him by a San Antonio-area jeweler, Spurs center DeJuan Blair said he is unconcerned about a default judgment already issued against him.

“It ain’t nothing,” Blair said before the Spurs played the Denver Nuggets at the Pepsi Center on Wednesday. “It’s something that’s been handled.

“It just came out because I’m me. It happened in my rookie season when I was young and dumb, just coming into the league. I grew up. It’s cool. It’s getting handled right now.

“I knew it was coming out before it came out. My attorneys got everything, so it’s not really a big issue for me.”

A judge ruled in February that Blair must pay more than $53,000 to Rivercenter Jewelers, according to court documents and the attorney representing the merchant.

The suit alleges Blair was allowed to buy, on credit, jewelry worth $53,032.26 from March 10, 2010 to April 10, 2010, and has not paid for the items.

Blair’s agent, Happy Walters, confirmed Blair has legal representation in the case, which he categorized as all too common with athletes.

“It’s the underbelly of pro sports, where business people take advantage of guys just coming into the league,” Walters said. “They tell them, ‘Take this jewelry and pay me later.’

“It’s a part of the business people don’t know about or hear about. Every player I have has been through something like this, and this happened when DeJuan was a young rookie, 19 or 20 years old.

“The attorneys are dealing with it, and what DeJuan owes, he will pay. He has learned his lesson, and he’s still learning lessons.”

Rest of the story Spurs Nation
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton