View Single Post
Old 02-26-13, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I have no issues with Derek Fisher.

1. He has been on the sh#t list of many Spurs fans since that infamous shot. That's what he was supposed to do and what he was paid for. The fact that it was deemed a valid shot has nothing to do with him. He was just doing his job.

2. He has made more money before age 40 than most of us can ever expect to make in a lifetime which is more than any family should need over a lifetime and he realizes this and puts his family first because he does indeed, have major family health issues and he prioritizes family first. I wish more professional players would have the same appreciation.

3. He requested to leave teams. It was granted. This is all above board. Where and when and even if he steps back into basketball is his decision as I imagine it is not the most important thing in his life anymore. If teams take him, so be it. If they don't, So be it but so far, teams still want him in his limited priority and capacity. When teams stop wanting him in this fashion, I imagine he won't be heartbroken and just move on to the next chapter of his life.
I just have an issue with him using his family as an excuse for getting off poor teams so he can then go join contenders.

He did it in Utah when he saw there was an opening for a starting PG on a newly rebuilt/reloaded Lakers squad when he used needing to go to a big city to ensure his daughter gets the best medical care as his excuse. Well if he needed a big city, why not New York...or Chicago? Oh, that's right. They had no hope of even making the playoffs back then, let alone competing for a title.

So he plays for LA for a few years while they have a good squad overall with very little competition @ the PG position. Once his time is up there, where does he go? Probably the 28th biggest city in a league of 30...OKC. Guess his daughter is cured now and no longer needs top-notch medical care.

Then this year, deja-vu with Dallas. Dallas gets some nice looking players (on paper) this offseason and he decides, yeah, I'll jump on board this ride. (Dallas is a pretty big city by the way...sure they have a pretty descent selection of doctors there for his daugther should she need them) Then they end up not being so hot after all, so he goes crying to Cuban with his sob story to get out of that contract. Same excuse as he had in Utah...family.

And where does he end up AGAIN...in the middle of Ho-where, as Ludacris would say, where he can either be far away from his family, or have his family be far away from the best doctors for his daughter....but, what a coincidence, they have a chance!

Why did he never ask to be let go by the Lakers when they were winning, or OKC when they were winning, or even Utah when they actually MADE the playoffs??? Because he is just USING his family and his sick daughter as an excuse to QUIT on his team. Just be a man and tell it like it is Fish...you don't want to play for a bad team and you'd rather take the easy ride. I'd have more respect for you that way.