View Single Post
Old 01-28-13, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
My points across the board:

Josh Smith himself said he wanted max money period.

How is Splitter a lock to come back to SA? He is a FA.

Diaw could be traded I'm sure for the right price. He is not untouchable. Baynes is not going to contribute for a while. Splitter might bolt or might command too much money. Bonner can be moved out for a $1 million bucks on a team buyout clause or trade. Blair is a FA. So they are not signing another big this summer? You sure?

So they will have all this cap money and only sign a backup small forward?? I doubt the Spurs want to do a staus quo with only re-signing their guys. They will make a splash this summer. The have some ammo unlike years past. The cap strangled a lot of stuff they wanted to do I'm sure. They did they best they could with what they had. They won't have that issue this summer.

On the Millsap part strongly disagree with you. Millsap can be that coveted stretch four that they have missed since Robert Horry only as a starter. Duncan can prolong his career as a center and not have to chase these newer faster athletic power forwards out there. KG has played more center now than ever. I hate the guy but he is an all star starter this year. Millsap would start here. You can do four or five down all day with Tim. Has it ever mattered who played along side him? Millsap is the ONLY 3 time NCAA rebound leader. So rebounding he can do well. Scored 46 points in an NBA game once. He is good for a block a game. Steals the ball pretty well. Has 3 point range and shoots 50% or better normally. The guy can pass the ball well too. As far as FA fits........he is the one of the best ones that can be had. Like him or not. He fits in SA!
So this is why I don't usually like to make my "logical" arguments with you . . . . . it is mostly opinion. But I will do it this one time.

1st, You must not know anything about the history of the Spurs. The idea that we are going to make some big splash in free agency is ridiculous. It has never happened, and it will never happen. We don't do that. We WILL end up re-signing most/all of our guys. We WILL pay Splitter a lot of money, but not more than he deserves. And we will not go after some high priced free agent. That is just history.

2nd. Milsap a STRETCH 4. What a joke. You must not realize that the "Stretch" part involves making 3 point shots like Robert Horry, Matt Bonner, and Boris Diaw. Milsap has made 30 three pointers in his entire 7 year career. And he shoots an awesome 29% from there. Milsap is not a stretch 4. He has a decent mid-range shot, but that doesn't make him a stretch 4. Notice the MID part of mid-range shot. MID does not equal STRETCH.

In fact, Milsap's per 40 this year (20.53) is almost exactly the same as Tiago's (20.36). In addition, their rebound rate is identical (10.1). One big glaring difference between the two is Tiago know's how to Pick and Roll, and Milsap doesn't. Why on earth would we not re-sign Tiago to sign Milsap, or put Tiago on the Bench and Start Milsap? I know. . . . . WE WOULDN'T. Tiago will get paid less than Milsap (who will be overrated and overpaid by some desperate team).

Right now, The only thing milsap does better than Tiago is score, but it takes him 30 minutes per game to do it. Splitter does his work in only 27 minutes, and Splitter does a lot better job handling Big Men than Milsap does.

So if you want to figure out some way to bet. I will bet $1000 that the Spurs re-sign Splitter, Play Baynes a lot next season, and only sign a SF/PF type (not a PF/C type) to replace Jackson and/or Blair.

Put your money where your mouth (or should I say keyboard) is Brother.

Last edited by choppsboy; 01-28-13 at 09:04 AM.