View Single Post
Old 01-14-13, 12:54 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Manu Ginobili strains hamstring, he could be out a while
Kurt Helin Jan 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

It’s not a regular season without a Manu Ginobili injury.

He tweaked his left hamstring with just a minute to go before halftime of the Spurs win on Sunday night. He did not return for the second half. The team officially called it a strain, he will be re-evaluated on Monday and then a determination on how long he will be out will be made.

Stephen Jackson made it sound like it could be a few games at least. From the San Antonio Express-News:

“It sucks,” said Jackson, “but it’s a part of the game. I’m glad it’s a strain and not a pull. He’ll be back a little quicker. But we have to step up. One person won’t be able to fill Manu’s shoes for what he does. Me, Gary (Neal), a couple other guys off the bench have to do it collectively.”

My guess is at least a week or two. But if it’s two that would be right at the start of the annual rodeo road trip — nine straight games on the road while a rodeo takes over their arena — and if he missed some or all of that nobody would be shocked.

The Spurs get the big picture — at 29-11 they are playoff bound, they need to be healthy when it comes time and they will give 35-year-old Ginobili all the time he needs. Hamstrings can be tricky because they take a while to heal and can be aggravated easily. You have to rest it and be sure.

So this could take a while.