View Single Post
Old 01-09-13, 12:21 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
no my point is you're trading a big who's getting some minutes in PHX for cheap and way past his prime for an undersized center who can't get in the rotation and is behind Matt Bonner. the Spurs got him for potential but now we've seen he probably won't match anything that was expected of him if his knees weren't going to give him trouble.

Blair would have more stock than O'Neal if Blair was locked up. you're talking about trading big for small (basically, which teams never do). you keep O'Neal because you know he won't come back to the team.

problem with your pick argument is that you're talking about rebuilding and then you mention giving away picks. when you're rebuilding, you keep your picks even if they're way low since you can probably get something for them (cash) or draft a player that you don't have to guarantee a contract for. this makes no sense for the Suns because why would they want Blair over O'Neal if they're still at the bottom of the WC?

IF Blair can impress (which he probably can), he won't stay in Phoenix anyway. he'll either get an offer from another team or go back for cheap (which he could do as a free agent from SA anyway) because Sarver is EXTREMELY cheap on contracts. this deal makes no sense for the Suns as much as you try to spin it. it makes perfect sense for the Spurs because it would be a no lose situation. we're running a 3 big rotation with occasional small ball with Jackson. if O'Neal doesn't pan out, we can still do the same thing and he can take Blair's place on the bench, but trades don't happen when it's lopsided in one direction.

How long was Malik Rose in the Pop's Doghouse? He still ended up with two rings. Contributing to both of them. So your main point sounds good but it's not always the case when someone falls off in a rotation. SJax was benched in Milwaukee before his trade to GS. Did the guy have no more talent left in him? On the big for small debate.........Bogut for Ellis last season. So again ample amount of examples for you.

You bring up DeJuan's knees a lot but they have not been mentioned once here in SA as problems on tv or print. Also why does he have to leave if he does good there? They have tons of cap space right now. They themselves can lock him up. Don't think the Spurs getting O'Neal and mid to bottom conditional pick as a steal for the Spurs. Hardly! O'Neal broke down last year and was out for a long while and was not in the playoff run if I recall correctly last year.

You know Sarver more than I do. I concede that to you. On the pick thing......Like I said you can't have all rookies and second year guys. Second round picks are not NFL level second round picks. They are long shots mainly at #41 and above. Blair is still young and they would audition him for the rest of the year to possibly KEEP HIM. They are under the cap right now as stated. Also Phoenix/surrounding areas is an awesome area to live and players like to live there right?? Am I wrong? Great weather. Great food. And hot women. It's paradise for NBA players. I'm not spinning things. It's a gamble for both teams not a steal for the Spurs.