View Single Post
Old 11-15-12, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
In the glory days, there were three plays at the end of a game: 4 down where Timmy backed his player down and either scored or dished, Manu at the top of the key where he penetrated and either scored or assisted (i.e. game 6 against the Sonics that one year), and TP at the top of the key doing the same thing. And that was because 90% of the time they could get the job done themselves. Now, you have lots more player movement before the inbound, and even more after, all the while anyone could be the number one option. And I think that's a direct result of those guys not being as much of a threat all by themselves anymore.
the concept of "hero ball" isn't the guy at the top of the key, it's what the play is. when you have Lebron or Wade or Kobe at the top of the key, them taking the last shot and forcing it without looking around is hero ball.

when you have Parker/Ginobili at the top of the key or Duncan posting up while looking for an open teammate isn't. who's the hero in that instance? not the superstars.

i'd be shocked if Pop didn't draw out the play and tell each player where to be and the designated PG how to drive. the difference between the Spurs and Lakers/Heat is that 99.9% of the time when their superstars have the ball, the coach puts in players who stretch the floor and just tell them to stand around while the superstar takes the shot.

there's no comparison to the 2.