View Single Post
Old 11-14-12, 07:20 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
i think hero ball is described more like a superstar at the top of the key and getting a screen or finding a way to create their own shot somehow, something you see Lebron/Kobe/Wade do a lot. the difference with the Spurs is, while Manu/TP may get a screen, Pop has guys in there that are there to take the shot if they're open without hesitation (like Mason a few times, Finley, Bowen even). i think that's the big difference. when Lebron gets an iso on the top and passes to an open role player, it most likely wasn't drawn up that way. i'm sure Pop draws up a play where he gives it to a star and the role players are equally involved in taking the game winning shot.
In the glory days, there were three plays at the end of a game: 4 down where Timmy backed his player down and either scored or dished, Manu at the top of the key where he penetrated and either scored or assisted (i.e. game 6 against the Sonics that one year), and TP at the top of the key doing the same thing. And that was because 90% of the time they could get the job done themselves. Now, you have lots more player movement before the inbound, and even more after, all the while anyone could be the number one option. And I think that's a direct result of those guys not being as much of a threat all by themselves anymore.