Thread: Roster hopes
View Single Post
Old 10-18-12, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

As Hollinger points out, Neal can score in a variety of ways. Off the dribble, catch and shoot, pick and roll.

He is a scorer, and a very good one.

Hollingers analysis (which of course I never use when it doesn't make my point)

Neal played a lot of backup point guard last season, but at both ends he's a much better fit playing off the ball and only occasionally orchestrating offense. He finished second-to-last among point guards in assist ratio and 60th out of 70 in pure point rating, and defensively was shredded by fast guards.

It's his jump shot that keeps him in the league, and on that score he didn't disappoint. Neal shot 41.9 percent on 3s and threw in a respectable 44.6 percent mark inside the arc, plus he's as comfortable shooting off the dribble as he is off the catch, so he was able to score at a high rate (18.5 points per 40 minutes). Neal also can create off the dribble a bit running pick-and-roll, but nearly always for his own offense.

Defensively, he's a liability at either guard spot, but playing him at point guard is especially dicey. Synergy rated him well below average and the Spurs gave up 6.7 points per 100 possessions more with him on the court. Meanwhile, 82games.com reports opposing point guards ripped him for a 21.3 PER but shooting guards mustered just a 10.8. The data was similar a year earlier, when he played the 2 almost exclusively and surrendered just an 11.4 mark. Neal also ranked among the bottom 10 point guards in both blocks and steals per minute.