View Single Post
Old 10-17-12, 01:41 PM
SR Team Goof

Odds on NBA MVP , Rookie of Year

Kurt Helin
Oct 17, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT

If you don’t have LeBron James, Kevin Durant on top of your “most likely to win the MVP” list you’re doing it wrong.

Professional odds makers don’t do it wrong. So when the guys at offshore book Bovada put together a list, you know who is at the top. But the real value is farther down the list. Here is their top 15.

LeBron James (MIA) 9/5
Kevin Durant (OKC) 15/4
Kobe Bryant (LAL) 12/1
Russell Westbrook (OKC) 16/1
Dwight Howard (LAL) 16/1
Steve Nash (LAL) 16/1
Chris Paul (LAC) 20/1
Kevin Love (MIN) 20/1
Dwyane Wade (MIA) 22/1
Deron Williams (BK) 25/1
Blake Griffin (LAC) 25/1
Carmelo Anthony (NYK) 25/1
Tony Parker (SAN) 25/1
Rajon Rondo (BOS) 28/1
Dirk Nowitzki (DAL) 30/1

Personally, I think this is going to be Durant’s year, and at nearly 4-1 the return isn’t bad. But if you’re looking for more value I think Chris Paul is going to have a monster season — it’s the last year of his contract, but more than that there is a real chip on the shoulder of the Clippers to show they shouldn’t be overlooked in Los Angeles. The problem for Paul is his gifts — the ability to control the tempo of a game, to be a floor general — can get lost on voters just looking at stats.

If you were going to bet on Derrick Rose in a year he is not going to play until around the All-Star Break at best coming off an ACL injury, do us all a favor and donate that money to the charity of your choice. At least there it will do some good.

Next up, here are Bovada’s odds o win Rookie of the Year:

Anthony Davis (NO) 19/10
Damian Lillard (POR) 11/2
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (CHA) 9/1
Thomas Robinson (SAC) 19/2
Bradley Beal (WAS) 10/1
Harrison Barnes (GSW) 12/1
Jonas Valanciunas (TOR) 12/1
Dion Waiters (CLE) 15/1
Jeremy Lamb (HOU) 20/1
John Henson (MIL) 25/1
Kendall Marshall (PHO) 25/1
Marquis Teague (CHI) 25/1
John Jenkins (ATL) 25/1
Royce White (HOU) 25/1
Andre Drummond (DET) 30/1

I’ve said before I am picking Lillard to win this and if he does he will pay betters pretty well. But I also like Harrison Barnes’ chances and I think Andre Drummond, who has looked good in the preseason, is a great long shot bet.

Not that we recommend you bet. This is all just in good fun. For discussion. Unless you live in Las Vegas then do what you want.

Related link: Knicks backup center Marcus Camby not near return | ProBasketballTalk