View Single Post
Old 02-04-11, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
Very true that LA may be better and will be difficult to beat 4 times in a 10 day period. I also heard Kenny's take on how LA can beat the Spurs. He says pick up the pace and get more shot attempts. If this happens, according to him, the natural talent will win out. Easier said than done in my opinion. Logic says that the person to push the pace in the PG. Unfortunately, that is the Lakers weakest position. Fisher is a great leader for the team but Parker kills him. Besides bench, that is the Spurs biggest advantage over LA and they have exploited it in both games.
well, not really on the PG pushing the action. you just need a good ball handler and decision maker to make it uptempo (and by this, i don't mean Parker going coast to coast, but in a team philosophy). the Lakers can certainly push the tempo with Kobe and Odom who can handle the rock well (Odom well for his size) which puts Fisher into the spot up jump shooter mentality along with Artest.

the problem with that though is Fisher is not good in an uptempo system (he failed when he was in Golden State for 2 years or so) nor does he have the legs to play a whole game in a set offense where he's the jump shooter and best defender, can you imagine him in an offense that tries to score in 7-10 seconds or less? you also have to have shooting to run effectively (this year everyone but Blair can shoot which gives him space in the paint). the Lakers are not willing to trust Artest to be a quick trigger jump shooter in that style (since he already has a quick trigger in a set offense). Fisher isn't a quick trigger shooter, he needs to be in his spot, feet set, squared up. if those 2 can't make shots and you have Bynum who can't shoot, then you pack the paint because Kobe isn't a high volume jump shooter either (neither Odom). also remember to run you need an effective outlet passing big, which they don't have. if they run and can't score, they'd get blown out in a series in my opinion.