View Single Post
Old 08-16-10, 08:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I thought about this more, and there are 2 sides to the coin

1. Tony Parker is a great player, but not quite a max player. We would do the 5 yr 75 mil thing here

2. Tony Parker is a future all star that can lead us to championships after Duncan retires. We do a max contract here.

Of those 2 options, I would chose the 2nd. If Tony steps up, and leads us to a championship we have a future. If Tony doesn't, we still need to find that guy. . . . and they are hard to find. Tony deserves 5 yrs, 75 mil based on past performance. I hope he earns a max for his performance this year.
What do you mean by lead the Spurs to a championship? The only thing I can think of that will get the Spurs another championship is better performance; by someone(s), anyone.

If you think it might be Tony, then there are some facts to consider. Tony has played 9 years in the NBA now. Most players have reached their potential by then. They may still improve, but they rarely get substantially better. So he will be, in the future, pretty much as we see him now.

Parker is nowhere near a max player now, so I do not expect him to ever be one. And if you want the truth, he has been declining ever since the 2007 championship.

I have reluctantly gotten on the trade-Tony-now bandwagon (but not at any price) because I think there has developed in the NBA a disconnect between what he is valued at and what he actually produces. His reluctance to talk about an extension makes me think that Parker has also fallen into this error. Hence, the only way this can end is with Parker leaving, either soon by trade or later through free agency.