View Single Post
Old 09-23-09, 11:53 AM
NBA Ref Wrangler

Ralph Nadir’s take on Obama so far?
Weak. Waffling, wavering, ambiguous and overwhelmingly concessionary.
Q&A: Ralph Nader, Fiction Writer - TIME

& speaking of racism:
Political Castaway Blog: Broadcasting Conservative Politics to Rescue America: New Toll Lanes in Virginia Are Racist
New Toll Lanes in Virginia Are Racist
Seriously.
To alleviate congestion, and apparently put down the man (or at least prevent him from getting from here to there in the DC area in less than a fortnight), Virginia is installing High Occupancy Toll or HOT lanes, according to a lawsuit filed in Arlington County, Virginia and it is racist.
Did some crazy person file this lawsuit?
Nope. That would be your tax dollars paying for the suit:
A lawsuit filed by Arlington County last month claims the lanes benefit wealthy white people and discriminates against minorities. While the only rule to get in the HOV lanes on Interstate 395 is you must have three people in the car, Arlington claims adding HOT lanes would cut out poor and minorities by defacto.
Here comes the justification. The HOT lanes apparently:
encourage and enable a financially-able, privileged class of suburban and rural, primarily Caucasian residents from Stafford and Spotsylvania counties operating single occupancy vehicles ("SOV") unimpeded access on toll lanes.
Huh. I guess using asphalt instead of cement is racist, too.
[T]he suit claims the Federal Highway Administration and the Virginia Department of Transportation failed to do the proper environmental analysis and that "their actions also constituted civil rights violations as they discriminated against minority and low income communities."
Arlington County Chair Barbara Favola says the race issue only arose because the environmental review includes socioeconomic impact.
Arlington County Board Chairman Babs Favola says the suit was not motived by race:
It is not our intention to play a race card. I think that's a very divisive approach."
Jim Moran could not be reached for comment.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
---Winston Churchill (1903)