View Single Post
Old 07-27-09, 08:38 PM
Dr. Dash

SAPD: Mom Killed Baby With Knife, Sword
Otty Sanchez Charged With Capital Murder

POSTED: Sunday, July 26, 2009
UPDATED: 5:52 pm CDT July 27, 2009
Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez

SAN ANTONIO -- The parents of a 3½-week-old boy, allegedly killed by his mother Sunday morning, were talking about restarting their relationship hours before the child's death, said the baby's paternal grandmother.

The child's mother, 33-year-old Otty Sanchez, decapitated and stabbed her son, Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez, with a knife and two swords, ate parts of his body and attempted to kill herself, said San Antonio Police Chief Bill McManus.

Sanchez stabbed herself in the torso and sliced her own throat, McManus said. Sanchez was recovering at University Hospital, where she was charged by proxy with capital murder. Bail was set at $1 million.

McManus said that the attack happened one week after the baby's father moved out of the home at 351 Wayside Drive. McManus wouldn't say if the breakup was a motive for the slaying.

The child's paternal grandmother, Kathleen Buchholtz, said Otty Sanchez showed no signs of any emotional problems when she saw her and the baby on Saturday evening. The child's parents had spoken of restarting their relationship, Buchholtz said.

The child's aunt and two cousins, ages 5 and 7, were in the house at the time of the killing, but none of them were harmed, police said.

McManus said that Sanchez told officers that "she was hearing voices" and that the devil made her kill her child. Police said Sanchez was found sitting on a couch screaming, "I killed my baby! I want to die!"

The police chief said that the crime scene was so horrific that officers at the scene were disturbed and severely affected by the slaying and may need counseling.

"There are a few officers who have had issues since that scene," McManus said. "There were some unspeakable atrocities associated with this crime. You just don't sit it in this business that often."

Luis Yanez, a neighbor, said that everyone on the street was appalled by the news.

"Give (the child) to me, I'll take care of it," Yanez said. "Give it to anybody else. Drop it anywhere else, but don't kill a baby."

Eliane Colchin, a neighbor who gave Sanchez a crib for her baby a few months ago, was devastated by the news.

"When I heard that, I couldn't stand it. I just cried, you know," Colchin said.

Jennifer Dodd, Simon Gutierrez and Jozannah Quintanilla contributed to this report.

Editor's Note: Due to repeated violations of our terms of service, commenting has been disabled on this story.

Copyright 2009 by KSAT.com All rights reserved.

SAPD: Mom Killed Baby With Knife, Sword - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio