View Single Post
Old 06-05-09, 06:52 PM
SR Team Goof

Favre’s agent says quarterback is still retired

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—Heard this one before? Brett Favre remains retired, as far as his agent is concerned.

Favre’s longtime representative Bus Cook said Friday afternoon in an interview with The Associated Press that he is unaware of any pending change in Favre’s plans.

Cook said he speaks with his friend every day, but claimed the chats aren’t about football.

“He’s my close friend,” Cook said by phone from Hattiesburg, Miss. “He lives right up the road.”

The Vikings have expressed interest in the record-setting 39-year-old quarterback, whose waffling has become an annual summer story around the NFL. But Minnesota coach Brad Childress said at a community service event Friday he isn’t thinking about Favre, when asked if he had a deadline in mind for Favre to make a decision about his status.

“I’m thinking about the next four OTAs next week,” Childress said, referring to optional offseason practices teams are allowed in May and June. Childress took part with players, coaches, staff and executives in a playground construction project at an elementary school in the Minneapolis area.

Cook, however, acknowledged the seemingly endless possibility that Favre— who said in February he was done for good this time—will seek a spot in the NFL again.

“We’ve all changed our minds, I guess,” Cook said.

Without prompting, Cook then began touting Favre’s ability, as if he were trying to sell the Vikings on a contract.

He said: “I would think they would pull out all the stops if they want to get the guy. I think Brett Favre just brings a whole new ballgame to any ballclub. That’s no reflection on the guys that are on their team at quarterback right now, but Brett’s in a different league than most.”

Cook said he hasn’t been in contact with the Vikings.

“I don’t know what Minnesota will or won’t do. I don’t know what he will or won’t do,” Cook said.

At issue, according to recent unsubstantiated reports, is the condition of Favre’s injured right arm.

His shoulder hurt last year because of a partially torn biceps while playing for the New York Jets, and Favre insinuated at his latest retirement news conference that was his reason for leaving the game after 18 seasons.

Cook declined Friday to comment on Favre’s condition, citing client confidentiality. He didn’t answer a question about whether Favre was mulling, or has already had, surgery.

“Right now there’s nothing to talk about,” Cook said. “As far as I know, Brett’s very content to be where he’s at, and that’s in Hattiesburg.”

Favre's agent says quarterback is still retired - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Does anybody seriously think 'retirement' is in Favre's vocabulary?