View Single Post
Old 05-22-09, 08:44 PM
Dr. Dash

Ok let's get this thing started:

Since we really don't want to start off with some heavy duty wine, I picked two so you can have your choice on which one to try:

1. Wine review: Chateau Famaey Cahors Malbec Rose 2008

The Famaey (about $10) is made with malbec from the southern French region of Cahors. It’s a strawberry bombshell, which was a bit surprising. The French are supposed to be a bit more subtle than this. But it was also bone dry, and any hints of sweetness come from the intense strawberry flavor. That’s because our brains are used to associating that kind of fruitiness with sweetness (think of a Jolly Rancher). Hence, we assume that it’s sweet. I would have preferred a little more acid to balance the fruit, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the wine.

Drink this well chilled as an aperitif or with any kind of picnic food. I’d also try to slip it past a white zinfandel drinker. The results could be fun.

2. Hogue Chenin Blanc

Chenin Blanc produces the classic crisp, dry wines of the Loire in France. It is also widely planted in California and South Africa. But in Washington, our combination of warm days, cool nights and a long growing season allows us to make a consistently ripe Chenin Blanc full of lively fruit character and good balance. The 2005 Chenin Blanc is medium-bodied with bright aromas and flavors of lemon, melon, mineral, and clover honey. The acidity and sugar are balanced, the finish dry. This Chenin Blanc would be great paired with Thai curry, pasta salad, or try it as an aperitif.

a⋅pé⋅ri⋅tif [ah-per-i-teef, uh-per-; Fr. a-pey-ree-teef] Show IPA
–noun, plural -tifs [-teefs; Fr. -teef] Show IPA . 1. a small drink of alcoholic liquor taken to stimulate the appetite before a meal.
2. Also called apéritif wine. a wine served as an appetizer or cocktail.

Those are your two wines for this weekend. Seek them out, find them, chill them, drink them and let us know what you think about them.

Any questions/comments?