View Single Post
Old 02-26-09, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I travel a lot, and when I plan on travelling I always consider this:

How much is the time that I will spend travelling worth to me?

I put priority on the destination, not the journey. Only when I'm doing a car road trip where I specifically want to see many destinations do I actually value the journey. Otherwise, I want to minimize travel time, and maximize time at destination.

It usually works out that the "dollars-per-hour" travelled makes flying more worthwhile to me. Its usually worth an extra several hundred dollars to me to have that extra day at my destination. My rule of thumb is that I will pay $40 dollars for every extra hour I save off of travel time.

I would suggest that a good rule of thumb for most people is take 125% of your hourly wage or salary, and let that be the value of your time saved on travelling.

If you are the type of person who truly enjoys the journey, then by all means, take your time and enjoy a rail trip. I'm not that person, and I'm willing to pay more money to travel faster. And the most efficient travel in terms of price for speed is almost always by airline.

The longer the distance, the more efficient air travel becomes. A 45 minute flight plus 60 minutes of airport time for a trip from San Antonio to Houston is probably less efficient than a 4 hour drive. But a $300 3.5 hour flight plus 2 hours of airport time for a trip from San Antonio to LA is far more efficient than a $100 20 hour drive, or a $200 28 hour Amtrak trip.

My advice: It's your honeymoon, with the person you love. Don't spend time travelling, spend time on your honeymoon. Airfare purchased far enough in advance isn't that much more costly than railway, and the extra time you will have in Hawaii is MORE than worth it. Time is more valuable than money.

$

Last edited by Money4Nothing; 02-26-09 at 03:12 PM.