View Single Post
Old 01-30-09, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Seriously. I think it's because Americans' taste buds are so used to the ultra-simple carbs they get from fast food that fruits and veggies don't taste good to them.
Could be. I've found that since I changed my diet and have gotten into a healthier eating mode, I find fruits and vegetables and other health foods MUCH more palatable. It seems like practically half of my time in the supermarket these days is spent gathering produce.

I don't crave fast food nearly at all anymore. In the past I used to get cravings all the time, and I would rarely want fruit and veggies, because crap food sounded so much better. I think fast food seriously affects the pallet or brain, or something of the sorts.

Quote:
5. Sugary Cereal Not all cereals are created equally. And while your kids might beg for the latest cookie or marshmallow chocolate surprise cereals, it is a safe bet they are about as healthy as a dessert. Keywords to look out for are puffed, dyed and sweetened.
I think breakfast cereals are one of the biggest shams in the American diet today. People delude themselves into thinking cereal is automatically a balanced breakfast -- most often it's not. It's easy to eat, and that's the pull, but like many things ultra fast, it's frequently not very healthy.

Obviously there are the egregious offenders like the sugary kids cereals (it's disgusting what we feed to our kids), but also many of the cereals marketed as healthy and wonderful are crap too. Their nutrients are extracted and sub-standard substitutes are pumped back in and they are often loaded with sugar.

And what a rip off! I cannot believe how expensive a box of cereal is these days.

"There are many dying children out there whose last wish is to meet me" -David Hasselhoff

Last edited by Spurfan15; 01-30-09 at 04:34 PM.