View Single Post
Old 04-13-07, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menudo Terremoto Williams View Post
The fallacy in "stick and stones..." is that words lead to thoughts. And thoughts lead to actions.

Example: In a historical and social vacuum, Hitler's and other German nationalists' oratory in the 1920's was innocuous. They were just words, right?

Without context, the "N" word is just a word, right?

Words are powerful. They do hurt. Conversely, they do uplift us, too. If no words have ever hurt you, you are a more self-realized person than 99.9% of people on this planet.
Hitler was a person of power and influence. Imus is irrelevent. As big as his radio show was, he didn't have the ability to motivate anyone to hate certain minorities.

Words do hurt and are powerful. But only when they are spoken from the mouth of someone who matters. If in your next post you tell me how disappointed you are in me, I probably won't skip a beat. But if my Dad calls me right now and tells me he's disappointed in me, yes I will be hurt. He matters to me. Hitler mattered to the Germans. Imus matters to who?

Quote:
I have a daughter, too. And as a father I would hope you would have a little more empathy for your own blood than that. C'mon now.
Yes, I'll have empathy. But I won't foster any insecurites or allow her to make those words a life-scarring event. I'll be sorry that someone said that to her, but teach her to be stronger and more self-assured.

Quote:
Self-assured or not, no one appreciates being disrespected.
Agree.