View Single Post
Old 04-09-07, 08:06 PM
MomBear

CBS To Suspend Imus’ Radio Show-MSNBC Announces Suspension Of Simulcast Program

CBS To Suspend Imus’ Radio Show
MSNBC Announces Suspension Of Simulcast Program

UPDATED: 6:49 pm CDT April 9, 2007

NEW YORK -- CBS announced late Monday that it will suspend its broadcast of Don Imus' radio program for two weeks following his racially charged comment about Rutgers female basketball players.

Earlier, MSNBC announced that is has temporarily suspended carrying Imus' simulcast radio show.

The suspension begins next Monday. CBS had no further comment on the move.

NBC News President Steve Capus released this statement on the MSNBC Web site late Monday: "Beginning Monday, April 16, MSNBC will suspend simulcasting the syndicated ‘Imus in the Morning’ radio program for two weeks. This comes after careful consideration in the days since his racist, abhorrent comments were made. Don Imus has expressed profound regret and embarrassment and has made a commitment to listen to all of those who have raised legitimate expressions of outrage. In addition, his dedication — in his words — to change the discourse on his program moving forward, has confirmed for us that this action is appropriate. Our future relationship with Imus is contingent on his ability to live up to his word."

The move comes after a day in which the controversial radio host, whose morning program is carried by WFAN in New York City, went on the air to apologize for racially insensitive remarks he made last week.

Imus refered to members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team last week as "nappy-headed hos."

Imus apologized on his own show. Later he was hosted on the radio show of the Rev. Al Sharpton, who renewed his call for Imus to be fired.

Sharpton said the remarks had been "abominable" and "racist" and that Imus should lose his job.

Imus told Sharpton, "Our agenda is to be funny and sometimes we go too far." He said that in this case, “We went way too far."

"I'm not a bad person -- I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing," Imus said on his own show.

He said that he was not trying to downplay what he called "the repulsiveness" of the remarks, and he added it's important to understand the context.

He said he and his morning cohorts "were kidding around, but that doesn't change it. That doesn't make it any less repugnant."

Imus also said he hopes to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches.

"I thought it was important to apologize to the coach, to the young women, and to their families for what I said," Imus said. "I'm going to talk to them if they'll let me."

On Sharpton's show, Imus also suggested that the "climate" of his program will change.

Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and about 50 other people marched Monday outside Chicago's NBC tower to protest Imus' comments.

LINK