SpursReport Team Starter

"I don't think you should eat something that had a mother" - Vegan NBA Player

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/he...05lvVEGAN.html

Veg out with Hawks' vegan player
Stoudamire crosses over to healthy cuisine

By FAITH DAWSON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/05/07

In June, Atlanta Hawks guard Salim Stoudamire abandoned his diet of junk food and animal-based foods to become the Hawks' only vegan player. (Vegans typically only eat food from plants — fruits, vegetables, legumes [dried beans and peas], grains, seeds and nuts.) So when team chef Bradley Rouse cooks turkey chili or Cajun catfish for the rest of the team, Stoudamire gets grilled tofu and quinoa (a high-protein grain).

Stoudamire recently sat down to talk about being a vegan in a sport dominated by carnivores.
Keith Hadley
(ENLARGE)
Atlanta Hawks guard Salim Stoudamire has lost 3 pounds since becoming a vegan last June. "My endurance has gone up, and I haven't gotten tired at all during the whole season." His meal includes tofu and pasta.

SALIM STOUDAMIRE'S 5 FAVORITE VEGETABLES
• Broccoli
• Tomato
• Carrots
• Squash
• Potato

Q: Why did you become a vegan?

A: I've always wanted to be one because of health, but I never wanted to go eat by myself or have people talk about me. But I finally reached a point where I just didn't care what other people thought, and I didn't have a problem with eating alone.

Q: None of your teammates goes with you?

A: They don't eat like I do. They look at my food and are disgusted. [They're] like, what's that, what's that?

Q: Did you lose weight after you became a vegan?

A: I lost 3 pounds, and I'm in better condition. My endurance has gone up, and I haven't gotten tired at all during the whole season.

Q: So this wasn't prompted by animal rights?

A: Sort of. I don't think you should eat something that had a mother. I don't think that's right.

Q: The Hawks Media Guide says your favorite food is macaroni and cheese. Explain.

A: It used to be! Not anymore.

Q: What's your favorite food now?

A: My favorite dish is brown rice with steamed vegetables and tofu.

Q: What would you say if I told you Philips Arena sells excellent hot dogs?

A: No — that's disgusting to me.

Q: I have a list of famous vegans for you: Prince ...

A: Prince is a vegan?

Q: Yes! Gwyneth Paltrow, Andre 3000, Pamela Anderson.

A: Pamela Anderson's a vegan? I don't believe that!

Q: It's true! She's a PETA spokeswoman. ... How are you on dates? Do you have to tell your date not to order the Buffalo wings?

A: I have a [non-vegan] girlfriend. ... She'll go to vegan restaurants with me. She's into it. She'll be converted one day.

Q: Vegan restaurant in Atlanta where we're most likely to see Salim Stoudamire?

A: Soul Vegetarian!

Q: How do you feel about the NBA's return to the leather ball?

A: I like that ball because I grew up with that ball.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"